Monday, November 8, 2010

Week 11: Lazy Susan

 Call me weird, but I've always had a special love for Lazy Susans ever since I was a little girl. When I was younger in the Philippines, we had a transparent one because the dining table had a glass surface with black metal legs. It was just, argh, I love them. They go round and round and round......

Unfortunately, I'm apparently a "big girl" now and, therefore, I am expected not to play with Lazy Susans anymore. But that doesn't stop me from taking (and editing) this short video of my mom's precious Lazy Susan at 10:30 on a Sunday night. When my parents were asleep.



I just grabbed a magnet from the refrigerator to illustrate the concept of unifrom circular motion as we discussed in Physics class (not a very tasty jelly bean, by the way, sorry). When the magnet is placed at the outer edge of the Lazy Susan, anyone can easily calculate its angular velocity and acceleration. However, when I place the magnet in the middle of the Lazy Susan, it does not have angluar velocity (because angle displacement is 0) nor a linear/tangential velocity (because its radius is now 0).

My family's Lazy Susan :)

Ooh, there's an eerie reflection hovering above it.





And, voila, the Physics of Lazy Susans.
P.S. HA! I just made it right on time! 12:00 right on the dot.

No comments:

Post a Comment